PBIS (Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports)
PBIS a school-wide system of teaching positive behaviors used nationwide to create a positive and safe school culture, and it has been adopted by all of Rapid City Area Schools.
Rapid City High School’s three school-wide expectations:
These behaviors and expectations are reinforced by all staff every day at RCHS and provide common language for acceptable behavior by students and staff.
Part of the PBIS philosophy is to recognize students for positive behaviors. Every week, staff reward deserving students with PBIS tickets that they can redeem for prizes in the RCHS PBIS store or enter into a weekly prize drawing.
RCHS Core Beliefs About Student Behavior and Discipline
- We believe that every attempt should be made to maintain the dignity of both the student and the adult.
- We believe that there should be a logical connection between misbehavior and resulting consequences.
- We believe that misbehavior should be viewed as an opportunity for individual problem solving and preparation for adulthood as opposed to a personal attack on the school or staff.
- We believe that misbehavior should be handled with natural consequences instead of punishments whenever possible.
- We believe that students should be given the opportunity to make decisions and live with the results, whether the consequences are good or bad.